Wednesday, November 16, 2011

There will be stripes

©http://elephant-juice.blogspot.com/

Last night I went to see Mark Kermode at the Tyneside Cinema. I spent the entire day at work before the show fretting, for the simple reason that I didn’t have any projects on the go that were simple enough for me to knit in a darkened theatre.

So what’s a knitter to do? In the five minutes I had at home before having to rush off to the show, I ran straight up to my stash to have a frantic rummage around, grabbed some of the first yarn I saw, snatched up some needles, and cast on in the car. (FYI, I don’t recommend casting on in a moving vehicle at 6:30pm in November in the UK; very dark, very difficult to count…) By the time the show had ended I’d managed a 2 inch cuff, which isn’t bad going! The show itself was short, but great, and Kermode was his usual entertaining self. The Tyneside even snapped a twitpic of the audience before the show (click on it to enbiggen). You can just about spot me in one of the back rows, knitting away with only the Boy for company because apparently I smell and no one wanted to sit next to me!

So anyway, olfactory rants aside, that’s how these socks (or rather, sock; there’s only one at present.) came to be. Truth be told, I had no idea what kind of socks I was going to make when I started them. Since I’d just finished a pair of plain stocking stitch socks it felt a little boring to make another pair straight away. I dithered with ideas of cables and ribbing, but then somewhere in the night my brain seems to have decided on stripes. I’ve always wanted a pair of stripey socks, so in the face of all the Christmas knitting (39 days. Eeeeek!) that I have yet to finish (or even start) I’m distracting myself with glorious stripes.

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...