Friday, November 12, 2010

Socktoberfest FO 1

I’m really missing socktoberfest! It went faaar too quickly. I made better progress than last year, but think I need to get organised so that I can do even better next year!

I did manage to finish one pair within the socktoberfest month…

©http://elephantjuice-allmadeup.blogspot.com

TTL Mystery Sock 2010 by Kirsten Kapur

Yarn: Zettl Valbella

Ravelled here

I knit last years TTL Mystery Sock, but it took me about 6 months to finish the pair, so I’m pretty chuffed that I managed to finish these within the month this time! Of course, I didn’t have hours of all consuming uni work holding me back this year, but still…

I’m sure most of you have guessed by now, but I love the process of knitting mystery socks. The textures in this sock are lovely. The little squiggly cables in the cuff are adorable, and the pattern is so easy to remember which makes it great mindless knitting without the monotony.

©http://elephantjuice-allmadeup.blogspot.com

If I was going to knit these again, the only mods I would make would be to the heel. ©http://elephantjuice-allmadeup.blogspot.com

To be honest, I find it a little dull after all the textures in the rest of the sock. Someone on Ravelry did a great heel mod that I reeeeally wished I’d seen before starting my heel. I’m far too lazy to rip and knit unless it’s absolutely essential, so I let it go for this one but I would definitely use it if I was to make these socks again. If anyone is interested, the mod details are linked in my project page.

As far as the yarn goes, I’m so pleased with it! It was incredibly cheap 75% wool 25% nylon sock yarn from Lidl (£2.99 for 200g – bargain!), and I wasn’t quite sure what to make of it at first, but now I think it’s fantastic. It’s quite thin 4ply, but it feels so silky and is absolutely lovely to knit with. It’s certainly soft enough to use for scarves and shawls as well as socks, so it’s a good job I hoarded several packs of it! Lidl brought out some sock wool last year as well, so I’m hoping that this is yearly regular for them and I will definitely be looking out for it next year. I’ve only worn these twice so far and they felt gorgeous and but there was some pilling! Still, so far I’m liking this yarn so much better than the Woolcraft Superwash Sock Yarn.

If you really want some it does pop up on ebay here and there for around the retail price, or slightly over. Be careful though, because I did see someone selling it for £9.99 plus postage a few weeks ago! Blatant rip off!!

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...