Friday, September 09, 2011

In the Boneyard.

©http://elephant-juice.blogspot.com/

I finished my Boneyard shawl!

I actually finished her a couple of weeks ago, but haven’t gotten around to taking any decent pics yet, and since I wanted to blog about it I snapped a couple of quickies when I got home from work a few days ago.

©http://elephant-juice.blogspot.com/

 

Boneyard Shawl by Stephen West

Yarn: Rowan Amy Butler Belle Organic DK
        Stylecraft Ethical Twist 70/30

Ravelled here.

I love it!! It’s actually not as huge as I thought it was when it was all bunched up on the circular needle. It’s still a large shawl, but it’s a pretty respectable size, although I haven’t blocked it yet and I do suspect that it will grow a little when I get round to it. But that’s ok!

I love the stripes, I love the colours, I love that this feels like a hug of wool around my neck. And I’ve just realised that both the wools I’ve used have been organic. What a bonus!

Both the yarns have been absolutely wonderful to knit with. The Ethical Twist is soft and lovely, but it does shed a bit and it is a teensy bit prickly. I should really have gone with the 80/20 baby alpaca mix, but the 70/30 was already caked up from a previous project so I took the easy option and went with that. The Amy Butler yarn is pretty darn dreamy too. It’s soft and silky and has a wonderful drape. My only qualm, and it’s a minor one, is that it’s a little bit splitty as it’s made up of 7 2ply strands plied together. I picked up the Amy Butler on sale in John Lewis a little while ago and didn’t see any other colourways so I assumed it was a discontinued line, but I’ve since seen the whole line selling Hobbycraft (including my colourway!) so I guess it’s not discontinued in the slightest. Which is good news as it’s lovely to work with, and there are some seriously pretty colours!

But back to the shawl, I can tell already that it’s going to be The Shawl for me this autumn/winter. It’s just so cosy, and warm, and comfortable, and easy. I can tell that I’m going to be getting a lot of wear out of it.

 

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...