Wednesday, January 11, 2012

back to stripes

©http://elephant-juice.blogspot.com/

My stripey socks are on the go again. I abandoned these in favour of Christmas knitting, and in the spirit of my 2012 “resolutions” I’m going to try and get a few WIPs off the needles even though I’m itching to start something new.

These socks are my first attempt at a short row heel. I’m a big fan of a nice, thick cushiony heel flap, but I thought I’d try something different with the stripes, and a short row heel would probably look a bit neater than my usual flap and gusset. Unfortunately it’s not going too well.

I’ve worked short rows before, even though I’ve never tried a full on short row heel, and despite trying a variety of different short row techniques, like many knitters I often end up with holes. I thought I’d try Shadow Wraps this time around, and even though I really like the technique I’m still ending up with holes. I refuse to be beaten though, so I’m giving it another go tonight and if my heels are still full of holes I’ll have to start again with wrap & turns!

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...