My Galileo socks are done!
Pattern: Solid Socks February Mystery KAL by Laura Jenkins
Yarn: Zettl Valbella
This pattern called for beads, but not being a bead-y type person I left them out and just did purl stitches in their place. I did see a few projects which used nupps or bobbles in place of the beads, and for a long time I wished I’d seen that idea earlier so that I could have incorporated it. In hindsight, I’m glad that I didn’t. It’s a nice idea in theory, but it wouldn’t have worked for me. The beads/nupps/bobbles are supposed to be placed on the front and back of the leg, and since my whole wardrobe is made up of leggings/jeggings/skinny jeans and boots, bobbley things on the leg would probably a) be rather uncomfortable, and b) give a rather strange silhouette!
Two pattern repeats along the foot was almost but not quite enough length for me. I didn’t want to break into another pattern repeat just to leave it half finished, so in the end I knit the first row of the toe section followed by five rows of plain stocking stitch, and then carried on with the toe decreases.
I was really unsure about these socks at first. The colour seemed too dark, the fit seemed too large, but I’m glad I carried on with them because I love them now. The first sock of the pair took me almost a month to complete because of all my dithering, but the second only took a week, which I think is a pretty good indicator of how much I enjoyed knitting them!
It’s an easy pattern to follow, just a little fiddly at times because of all the twisted stitches which form the “moons” along the sides. There’s enough repetition in the pattern to make it easy to read your knitting and not feel tied to the pattern the whole time, but it’s interesting and varied enough to not feel boring.